Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ulceras de estomago

Sunday was my first experience in a Peruvian hospital, San Miguel. The night before I vomited blood in the middle of the night, so I figured it was a good idea I see the medico...and everything I ate, came back up. So, Lara (the founder of LLI)met me at the Clinico de San Miguel. They told me that I had to go to another clinic of theirs 45 minutes away because of the blood vomiting (greattt), so I was transferred over. The minute we got there I was hooked up to an IV and given medicine that made me knock out for a while. After that, me and the IV became best friends, I had the IV in me for the rest of the day. After being re-hydrated and so on, I got a sonogram...good news, I'm NOT pregnant! Wooo! After that I peed in a cup, had blood drawn from me and passed out for a few hours in the hospital. Apparently a doctor came to talk to me but I was in and out of sleep. They wanted to keep me for the night! No way was that happening! Then the nurse wheeled me to the endoscopy room..ut she couldn't find the right floor, and she proceeded to take me up and down the elevator 3-4 times...the entire time I was saying "comida" (I was so hungry it was 3pm already and I hadn't eaten the whole day...not to mention my stomach was completely empty). I had my first endoscopy..they sprayed something in the back of my throat, gave me some general anestesia and I was out. Next thing I remember is them rolling my back on to my hospital bed. Apparently, I tried talking..which is always amusing under anestesia. The doctor was so kind and even gave me a souvenier (the video of my endoscopy)...so thrilling! They took a biopsy of a piece of my stomach. From all of this craziness, the doctor finally told me I have a stomach ulcer.
Stomach ulcer means:
-I'm on four different kinds of meds
-I'm not allowed to eat any kind of greasy food
-Can't eat lactose
-Can't drink gaseous anything...including alcohol
-No acids

This is very sad because I love eating...but I will have to put my tastes on hold for a while to heal my stomach.

I got a new roommate the day before the hospitalization, her name is Kat...she probably thought I was a crazy person the first day she met me jajaja. Oh, and I showed her the DVD of my insides.

Good news is that i'm feeling a lot better and I won't die. besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment