Friday, July 1, 2011

Simplicity

Today I decided to try a different approach to tutoring Moises. I pulled up two different articles from the internet, one about Moammad Ghadafii and one about New York legalizing gay marriage (woo!). We read each article and discussed the issues which was really good practice for him. Then, I showed him my blog and read him an example entry. Then, I had him write a blog post of his own. Here it is (i'm so proud)!

My life in Huaycan
By Moises
Hello, my name is Moises. I am sixteen years old and I live in Huaycan Zone “D”. I like living here because my family and friends are here and I think this city isn’t dangerous. Now I live with my mom, my brothers and sister. I work in Lima in my brother’s store. I like playing with my cousins in my free time.
Last Sunday I went out with my friends to the movies on Giron de la Union and we were walking and telling jokes. We watched "The Mute House" which is a horror film. I didn’t like it very much because it wasn’t scary.

He really enjoyed writing and expressing himself so I think I am going to start challenging him more! He's really progressing and it's great to see!

Tuesday was Glady's birthday like I mentioned before. We all went to Lima along with Jason, Miguel, and Roberto (our friends from Huaycan). We met Lara and her boyfriend, Glady's cousins, and my friend Alessandra there. First, we went to a bar in Miraflores called "Media naranja" which made a great Caiprinha. (Yes I went to a Brazilian bar while I was in Peru). I got to practice my portuguese, so I was happy. It was really fun but I have to admit, we all drank a little too much.

The next day, Alessandra's mom took us out to a really nice restaurant called Punto sal I believe. I tried Arroz con mariscos which is Rice with seafood and fried seafood. It was really good for someone who isn't the biggest seafood fan! I ate octopus, calamari, fish, shrimp, and oysters.

Thursday (yesterday) we all went to Las Molinas, a more upscale suburb of Lima in which we tried out an organic fruit salad place (which was delicious). Then we went to a coffee shop that was absolutely adorable. Afterwards, we went to a nearby shanty-town called "Horacio" and met up with some boys that live there that Ellie and Mimo are good friends with. I had met them before, we refer to them as the "Horacio boys". Catchy eh? We drank some beers and then came home. My stomach wasn't feeling so great. Woke up this morning at 8, tutored Moises...then ate lunch. We had Tacu Tacu for lunch. Which made my stomach really start to hurt...which resulted in me puking again. I puked a few more times then had to take the rest of the day off.

Right now, the volunteers are out at Kenko's...the discoteka we usually go to..but I had to stay back because of my damn stomach. I hope to get back into the swing of things tomorrow, but as of now i'm straight posting up in my bed.

Saturday is my biggest teaching day so I really hope I can teach as I had to cancel one of mine today.

No comments:

Post a Comment