Monday, May 16, 2011

Weekend in Paraty!


Friday we travelled to Paraty, Brazil.. its about 2-3 hours away. The beaches were beautiful and the town was absolutely wonderful. We all took a van there which was quite the bumpy ride. Paraty is located in the mountains and needless to say, we almost killed a cachorro (puppy) on the way there. We were all scared for our lives. We stayed in a beautiful Poussada bed and breakfast type of place called Casa del Sol. Above, I posted a picture of the view we had from our waterfront location. Friday night we all went out to dinner and partied pretty hard at the Poussada, woke up the next morning to go into the town of Paraty. The town is an old historical town on the water. We went on a boat ride for 40 reales (pretty cheap) for eight people and it ended up being an hour and a half! We stopped at an island and did a little exploring, we ate lunch after…it doesn’t stop there. We went to a Distillery called Fazend Murycana and drank a lot of cachaça, and don’t worry, I bought a bottle to bring home! We tried like 8 different flavors each! It was a great day and we went out for dinner when we got back to the possada and did some boozing and pool playing when we got back that night.

Sunday morning Paola and I went on a run on the pier. I could say I kept up, but she runs cross country and showed me up big time. The group went to Angra dos Reis which is also in Paraty, we went on a 5 hour boat ride that stopped at three different islands throughout the trip. The boat was huge and it was a lot of fun! There were a lot of foreigners on the boat. Some guy from Finland was talking to us and when Gaby (my friend) tried talking to him in English he responded, “Sorry I don’t speak Spanish”. Poor girl has a heavy Venezuelan accent! The islands were beautiful though and we got back to Rio about 7pm!

When I got home, me and Andrea (Alessandra’s cousin, 34 yrs old) decided to go out to a bar nearby…she doesn’t speak any English so I got some good practice in! We had a lot of fun, and after 5 beers we came back sufficiently drunk. Oh, and Alessandra told me about this guy she’s seeing who is 26 years old, why do I always get the cougars!?!

Monday we went to the beach for 3 hours in between class. And I’m now officially conversational in Portuguese. That’s all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment